It's an incredible feeling to do your homework, pray, reflect and prepare a message for people and then to see heads nodding and sharing that God's speaking to them. What a humbling privilege for God to use people to speak to others.
I've worked really hard for the last 8 years to be myself when I speak. I want to talk in the same way I would with someone one-on-one. I want people to be engaged on several different levels - to not just sit back and take it in, but to engage their mind & senses.
Video of message
- One of our deepest fears is that we'll become known - that we'll be exposed and found out
- Exodus 2:11-14 - Moses killing Egyptian and running away
- One my biggest struggles is needing approval from people - holds me back
- A lot of us don't depend daily on God because we don't know we're broken
- Start a Mistake Journal - write down 3 mistakes you make each day
Church member: I used to find it very difficult to accept or admit where I was weak. Pride, and being a perfectionist wouldn't allow it. Now I realize that it's ok to have weaknesses...it is in those moments that GOD moves the most.
- Hope and change require a decision
- Psalm 139
- 2 Corinthians 5:17: Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come.
- The old is GONE. It had a purpose. It prepared you for today. Don't regret it. But it's GONE.
How do you actually create a new start?
- Work through the pain - when we release grief, we allow space for hope to enter
- Have a difficult conversation with yourself
- Immerse yourself in the Bible - words will heal you
- Restore your capacity to hope and dream - hope is contagious
- Create new goals - dreams change, get new ones!
- Come alongside a friend who's craving a new start - encourage them
- One result of a new start is a God dream or new passion
- I think too many of us have stopped dreaming
- What's your burning bush? A dream & passion God's given you?
- As the body of Christ, our job is to help each other identify our burning bushes and to throw gasoline on them! (Mike Slaughter)
Exodus 3:11-14 - Moses responding to God's call at the burning bush
We're a mess. Claim that. Live into it. But in God, we're a new creation. God has a dream for you. And God will be with you.